Re: Reg-porting guide (fwd)

From: Bob McElrath (mcelrath@draal.physics.wisc.edu)
Date: Sun Oct 14 2001 - 10:06:03 EST

SATHISH.J [sathish.j@tatainfotech.com] wrote:
> Hi,
> I want to port an application from linux 32 bit to 64 bit. Where can I get
> details on the same? Is there any porting guide for this? Please send me
> the link.

99% of the time, (32-bit) linux applications will compile and run fine on my
alpha. There are 3 potential problems though:
    1) sizeof(long) != sizeof(int)
    2) any assembly language in the source.
    3) sizeof(void*) != sizeof(int)
The first two can be readily identified by grepping for "long", "asm" and
looking for .s files. The last one causes compiler warnings, but does not
usually cause the application to fail to compile or run.

Cheers,
-- Bob

Bob McElrath (rsmcelrath@students.wisc.edu)
Univ. of Wisconsin at Madison, Department of Physics