Oops in kernel 2.4.x with x>=12

From: Ward Vandewege (ward@pong.be)
Date: Mon Nov 26 2001 - 07:55:05 EST

Hi,

I'm having trouble booting any of the more recent kernels on one particular machine. The standard redhat 7.1 kernel (2.4.2-2) boots just fine, but booting a more recent kernel crashes the machine, somewhere just after or just before the hard disk gets mounted.

The machine has a MSI 6378 motherboard (VIA VT8361A & VT82C686A chipset) with an AMD Duron 750.

I've tried 2.4.12, 2.4.13, 2.4.14, and 2.4.16-pre1. I've attached the ksymoops output for the 2.4.14 crash. Note that this is the last oops from several that appeared on the screen, and I've manually copied it to paper and back, so there may be errors in it.

I have compiled a 2.4.16-pre1 with the latest kmsgdump, but then discovered this machine doesn't even have a floppy drive. So I'm getting one, I will post the processed oops later today.

The .config used for the 2.4.14 kernel is also attached. The only other patch to this kernel was the one to fix compilation with loopback support. I'll gladly provide more info if needed.

Please cc me in any replies as I'm too bandwidth-crippled right now to subscribe to LK.

Bye for now,
Ward Vandewege.

--
Pong.be         -(   "Microsoft isn't evil, they just make really crappy   )-
Virtual hosting -(              operating systems." -- Linus               )-