[ Kernel Panic - 2.4.14 ] - Attempted to kill the idle task!

From: William N. Zanatta (william@veritel.com.br)
Date: Wed Nov 28 2001 - 07:35:40 EST

Hello,

  Last night, after booting my machine, I just mounted my ZIP disk and
after a 'ls -la /mnt ', I got an Oops with the message "Attempted to
kill the idle task!".
  It didn't happen before since I compiled 2.4.14. It always happened
when I was running 2.4.5 (which is the one that comes in Slack 8 distro).

  Hardware:
    - Athlon 1.2Ghz
    - Abit KT7A-R (with the famous and still not well supported VIA chipset)
    - 256Mb RAM
    - NEC IDE Zip Drive

  Maybe it's something related to the processor as I got messages like
that when using 2.4.5 which has a buggy microcode for AMD.
  Any stuff or tips on this???

  Thank you,

William