Re: tar vs cpio (was: Booting a modular kernel through a multiple streams file)

From: T. A. (tkhoadfdsaf@hotmail.com)
Date: Sat Dec 22 2001 - 14:53:09 EST

    What about considering one of the simpler filesystems or archive formats
instead? How much "Unix"-ism is required to be retained in the archive?
(permissions, device files, etc?)

    As for the bigendianness... Is it really relevant since each kernel is
tied to its own platform? And if it is may it be better to use the native
format of the 98% or so of the Linux machines out there which are
littleendian (performance and ease of general access on the majority of host
machines comes to mind).