Re: tar vs cpio (was: Booting a modular kernel through a multiple streams file)

From: Alexander Viro (viro@math.psu.edu)
Date: Sun Dec 23 2001 - 09:28:14 EST

On Sun, 23 Dec 2001, H. Peter Anvin wrote:

> a) Several different formats; <cpio.h> only documents one of them; I
> have only found info on that one so some of these things may not apply.

--format=newc and yes, some of them do not apply

> b) No obvious ways to handle hard links, that doesn't require you
> keeping a table of the inode numbers already seen (at least for which
> c_nlink > 1) and hard link to them on the decompression side. Since we
> have an assymetric setup, it seems like its done at the wrong end.

See below.

> c) The use of TRAILER!!! as an end-of-archive marker (first, it's a
> valid name, and second, there shouldn't be a need for an end-of-archive
> marker in this application as long as each individual file is
> self-terminating thus returning the dearchiver to its ground state. If
> we stick with cpio, I would like these entries to have no effect.

No problem.

> d) c_rdev, c_uid, c_gid, c_dev, and c_ino are too small, at least in the
> <cpio.h> format.

32 bits each (and it's major/minor both for dev and rdev, so in effect it's
64 bits).

> e) The use of octal ASCII numbers is somewhat ugly.

hexadecimal, not octal.

> f) No ctime, no atime.

For populating root?

> It seems to me that this application doesn't really have a particular
> need for backward compatibility, nor for the I/O blocking stuff of
> tar/cpio. I would certainly be willing to write a set of portable
> utilities to create an archive in a custom format, if that would be more
> desirable. We'd still use gzip for compression, of course, and have the
> buffer composed as a combination of ".rfs" and ".rfs.gz" files,
> separated by zero-padding.
>
> What I'm talking about would probably still look a lot like the cpio
> header, but probably would use bigendian binary (bigendian because it
> allows the use of the widely portable htons() and htonl() macros), have
> explicit support for hard links, and not require a trailer block.

As for the hardlinks... I'm not sure. All it takes in uncpio.c is
~30 lines of sparse C.

Trailer block can (and will) be silently ignored by unpacking side.
"TRAILER!!! is a valid name" is true, but hardly serious.

I doubt that extra utilities are worth the effort. Said that, layout
of the damn thing is nowhere near the top of the list of things that
worry me - as long as it's well-defined, can be handled from userland
and can be easily unpacked I'm OK with it. What _does_ worry me, though
        * we either need mini-libc of our own or uclibc becomes mandatory
for build (glibc is out of question, dietlibc doesn't support quite a few
architectures we need).
        * getting sane Makefile for init/*
        * getting rid of /{LINUX,DOS} kludge in UMSDOS (code relies on
ROOT_DEV, which adds a lot of PITA)
        * devfs=only needing in effect a search over entire devfs tree (and
yes, that's what it was doing all along)
        * RAID autoconf code (seriously entangled with regular parts of
md.c).

Frankly, holy wars over layout of archive look rather pointless. _That_
is trivial to change at any point until the moment when it hits the main
tree. Getting late-boot code clean is the real problem.