ACPI Toshiba-extras LCD backlight control not working anymore?

From: Eric Altendorf (EricAltendorf@orst.edu)
Date: Fri Oct 18 2002 - 17:28:38 EST

I can see the brightness levels:
  [eric@localhost eric]$ cat /proc/acpi/toshiba/lcd
  brightness: 5
  brightness_levels: 8

but I cannot change them. Values echoed to the file are silently
ignored.

This used to work many versions ago (maybe 2.5.25, I don't recall).
It hasn't worked since 2.5.38, at least. Anyone know what happened?

Eric

--
"First they ignore you.  Then they laugh at you.
 Then they fight you.  And then you win."             -Gandhi