Re: Performance improvement with Akira Tsukamoto's Athlon copy_user patch

From: Akira Tsukamoto (akira-t@suna-asobi.com)
Date: Tue Nov 19 2002 - 13:20:54 EST

Hi Calin,

> 2.5.47 with copy user patch
>
> /dev/hda:
> Timing buffer-cache reads: 128 MB in 0.71 seconds =180.28 MB/sec
> Timing buffered disk reads: 64 MB in 4.06 seconds = 15.78 MB/sec
>

> vanila 2.5.47
>
> /dev/hda:
> Timing buffer-cache reads: 128 MB in 1.09 seconds =117.32 MB/sec
> Timing buffered disk reads: 64 MB in 4.05 seconds = 15.78 MB/sec

Thank you for trying,
I also been using for compiling kernel for several days,
but, as Andi mentioned, currently the aki_copy is *dangerous*
when any processes/threads ara using fpu register.

I read the code of laze FPU state saving and confirmed that
if the function does not generate exception than
'kernel_fpu_begin/end()' should assure fpu safe inside kernel.

However, it is not enough where exception could rise, as Takahashi
mentioned.

I also have benchmark for small buffer which is enough to fit in cache
which I would like to show that aki_copy does perform well for this
circumstances.
But I have something urgent todo(homework :)) and I will come back to it
as soon as possible.

Thank you,

Akira Tsukamoto

On Tue, 19 Nov 2002 18:34:16 +0100 (CET)
szonyi calin <caszonyi@yahoo.com> mentioned:

Akira Tsukamoto <akira-t@suna-asobi.com, at541@columbia.edu>