Re: d_path() truncating excessive long path name vulnerability

From: Paul Szabo (psz@maths.usyd.edu.au)
Date: Tue Nov 26 2002 - 21:04:04 EST

Back in March 2002, Wojciech Purczynski <cliph@isec.pl> wrote (original
article at http://online.securityfocus.com/archive/1/264117 ):

> Name: Linux kernel
> Version: up to 2.2.20 and 2.4.18
> In case of excessively long path names d_path kernel internal function
> returns truncated trailing components of a path name instead of an error
> value. As this function is called by getcwd(2) system call and
> do_proc_readlink() function, false information may be returned to
> user-space processes.

The problem is still present in Debian 2.4.19 kernel. I have not tried 2.5,
but see nothing relevant in the Changelogs at http://www.kernel.org/ .

Cheers,

Paul Szabo - psz@maths.usyd.edu.au http://www.maths.usyd.edu.au:8000/u/psz/
School of Mathematics and Statistics University of Sydney 2006 Australia