Re: writing to raw devices

From: Anu (avaidya@unity.ncsu.edu)
Date: Sat Dec 07 2002 - 21:17:38 EST

ok -- what I meant is this:

I have a software RAID-5 array with 5 disks (sdd1,2,3,4, sdb1,2) and one
parity disk.. (sdb2). the device is md0.

I am trying to see if I can figure out the stripe size of the raid-5
(although I already know it because i configured it) by writing
consecutively larger blocks on the "/dev/md0" file.. But, I have some
bizare and random errors (I should get neat dips in the curve once it hits
the stripe size -- but at best, what I currently get is random).

So, I went and looked and figured out that the way it works is that there
are problems with the way the raid is set up.. and in this case, does
writing to /dev/md0 really do what I think it is doing?

I am not even sure that this is the right group to ask this question --
but, here it is