RE: firmware separation filesystem (fwfs)

From: Riley Williams (rhw@MemAlpha.fslife.co.uk)
Date: Wed Apr 16 2003 - 11:57:41 EST

Hi Alan.

>> On the other hand, there are already many drivers in the kernel
>> that include firmware in headers, keyspan, io_edgeport, dabusb,
>> ser_a2232, sym53c8xx_2, ...

> But so would loading it from hotplug via ioctl. It might be we
> want a clean hotplug way to ask for 'firmware for xyz'.

I know that PCI uses a 32-bit number (or two 16-bit numbers if one
prefers to think of it that way) to identify each piece of equipment.
Is there a similar number for USB, Firewire, etc?

If so, the hotplug firmware driver could use those numbers prefixed
by a code for the relevant bus to identify the relevant firmware.
For example...

        P:1234:5678 PCI Bus code 1234:5678
        U:1234:5678 USB Bus code 1234:5678

...and the hotplug driver would know whether those two were the same
device on different buses, or two different devices.

Best wishes from Riley.

---
 * Nothing as pretty as a smile, nothing as ugly as a frown.