Re: ATAPI cdrecord issue 2.5.67

From: Roger Gammans (roger@computer-surgery.co.uk)
Date: Sat Apr 19 2003 - 18:22:17 EST

On Fri, Apr 11, 2003 at 12:46:21PM +0200, mikpe@csd.uu.se wrote:
> Alan Cox writes:
> > On Thu, 2003-04-10 at 20:53, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> > > I think ide-scsi needs to be supported for some time going forward.
> > > After all, cdrecord, cdrdao, dvdrecord aren't going to be the only
> > > applications.
> >
> > And far longer than that. People seem to be testing and demoing
> [snip]
>
> ATAPI tape drives will need ide-scsi too, unless ide-tape somehow
> got repaired lately. And some people already use ide-scsi+st in
> 2.4 since ide-tape doesn't always work reliably.

Whan I last looked at the ide-tape driver , which was
back in 2.2, it looked like the big problem was actually
in it error handling , rather than anywhere else.

I don't think it has been changed significantly it that regard
since.

IIRC , the behaviour which appeared to be caueing me a problem
was that some slow driver would be busy long for ide-tape to
get bored. It also didn;t like getting error codes which weren't
spelled out it the quik spec. The common travan mechanism I
get lots of here, spits out quite a few of those. (As well
as failing one of st's enquiry cmds).

TTFN

--
Roger. 	                        Home| http://www.sandman.uklinux.net/
Master of Peng Shui.      (Ancient oriental art of Penguin Arranging)