IPSEC problems with GRE.

From: Julian Blake Kongslie (jblake@omgwallhack.org)
Date: Mon Jun 16 2003 - 02:01:11 EST

Hi there.

I've been playing around with IPSec, and I came across a problem with
encrypting data sent directly by the kernel.

Specifically, attempts to encrypt a GRE or IPIP tunnel with ipsec in
transport mode result in one of:
        1) No data sent.
        2) Data sent, ignored by peer.
        3) Kernel panic, with no SysRq.

Numbers 1 and 2 might be configuration problems on my part, but I have
other ipsec setups running fine, and can't see anything different for
these. Number 3 is a big problem.

This is on 2.5.70. No third-party modules or other tainting. I can
provide .configs on request.

I don't have the panic copied down, but I can reproduce it and get a
copy if required.

I know I could certainly accomplish what I want with ipsec tunnel mode,
but I'm just playing around, and it's a kernel bug in any case.

Thanks.

--
Julian Blake Kongslie <jblake@omgwallhack.org>