ptrace/kmod exploit still works in 2.4.21?

From: Pete Taphouse (pete@bytemark.co.uk)
Date: Wed Jun 18 2003 - 06:22:04 EST

Hi,

I've been doing some experiments with the 2.4.21 kernel, and the ptrace
exploit: the result of which is that I've compiled a kernel with the
processor set to i386. I then ran this kernel on 2 computers, one is a Duron
machine with SIS chipset, the other is a Pentium 4 machine with the Intel 845
chipset. The exploit still gave me a root shell on the Pentium 4 machine, but
didn't on the Duron one.

I've read the previous post about this, and in both cases I only logged in as
an unprivileged user. I didn't login as root and then su to an unprivileged
use first. I checked to see that I was root by opening /etc/shadow.

The exploit used was:
http://packetstormsecurity.nl/0304-exploits/ptrace-kmod.c

The config file for the kernel I compiled is at:
http://www.bytemark-hosting.co.uk/config.txt

Any ideas?

--
Peter Taphouse