Re: [OT] Re: Troll Tech [was Re: Sco vs. IBM]

From: Paul Mackerras (paulus@samba.org)
Date: Fri Jun 20 2003 - 18:27:32 EST

> I don't think the point I'm making is that much of a stretch. Look at
> Sun - it's been the source of many of the things in Linux. There is no
> question, in my mind at least, that Linux is putting Sun out of business.
> Sun used to do 10% of their annual revenue on Wall Street. Wall Street
> businesses are moving to Linux in droves. That's an example of what I
> call killing off the host.
>
> I'm sure you can muddy the waters by saying that Sun has other problems
> and I won't go there. I think enough people can see that Linux is hurting
> Sun, that's all I wanted to get across.

Hmmm, it seems to me that it is primarily *Intel* that is hurting Sun
by taking away their low end. If the Sun gear was competitive on
price/performance at the low end, Wall St would still be buying Sun
boxes and would still be running Solaris on them.

At the high end Sun is also having big problems being competitive,
of course, but that has nothing to do with Linux. Basically the
ultrasparc is about the slowest general purpose microprocessor in
current production, and that's got to hurt.

Paul.