Linux 2.5.73 - panic (freed memory) on CD-Recorder errors

From: Pavel Roskin (proski@gnu.org)
Date: Mon Jun 23 2003 - 00:55:39 EST

Hello!

I have been experiencing kernel panics with 2.5.x kernels when writing
oversized images like Knoppix to low-quality CDs using the IDE driver
without SCSI emulation.

Finally I have found a very simple way to reproduce the panic immediately
and without sacrificing a blank CD. Just try writing over a recorded disc
in the dummy mode (i.e. with the laser turned off).

I have captured the panic on the serial console. cdrecord was running on
that terminal as well, so you see the order in which it happened. The
kernel .config file and the kernel messages (without serial console being
active) are attached.

This panic occurred on Linux 2.5.73, but I remember the same function
names in the stack trace with older 2.5.x kernels when I was writing
Knoppix.

Note 6b6b6b6b in the eax and esi registers and on the stack. That must be
freed memory. __end_that_request_first() is a static function in
drivers/block/ll_rw_blk.c

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin