Re: 2.6.0-test2-mm3

From: William Lee Irwin III (wli@holomorphy.com)
Date: Sun Aug 03 2003 - 02:38:35 EST

On Sat, Aug 02, 2003 at 04:42:05PM -0700, Andrew Morton wrote:
> We already have a bucketload of highmem hacks in the kernel, and they are
> not sufficient for some people. We have several more (large) highmem hacks
> being proposed.

Please don't put page clustering anywhere near that blacklist. There's
a lot more to it than "gee, wli shrank mem_map[] again".

On Sat, Aug 02, 2003 at 04:42:05PM -0700, Andrew Morton wrote:
> wrt long-term kernel purity: one approach would be to not merge 4G+4G into
> 2.7 at all. This keeps the long-term kernel codebase saner. It assumes
> that the monster 32-bit boxes will have been obsoleted by 64-bit machines
> within 3-4 years and that it is acceptable to end-of-line those machines on
> a 2.6-based kernel. I think that's pretty safe.

Maybe some way to get feedback to/from cpu vendors about this would
help. If we really want to kill highmem dead in 2.7, beating cpu
vendors with a baseball bat until they^W^W^W^W^W^W^W^Wkindly asking
cpu vendors to kill that fucking PAE shit dead (goddammit!) might help.

-- wli