Re: TOE brain dump

From: Larry McVoy (lm@bitmover.com)
Date: Sun Aug 03 2003 - 22:48:43 EST

On Mon, Aug 04, 2003 at 11:17:23AM +0930, Glen Turner wrote:
> >Really fast, really long pipes in practice don't exist for 99.9% of all
> >Internet users.
>
> Here every worthwhile fast pipe is a long fast pipe. 90% of
> Australia's net traffic goes to the West Coast of the USA,
> that's 14,000Km away.

I couldn't tell from your posting if you were arguing for an offload or not.
If you are, and you are using these stats as a reason, I'd like to know
the absolute numbers, router to router, that we are talking about. I have
a feeling that few cheap PC's could handle all the load but I'm willing
to be educated.

Even if I'm way off, a pair of routers between Australia and the US is
hardly a reason to muck about in the TCP stack. If we were talking
about millions of routers, well sure, that makes sense.

--
---
Larry McVoy              lm at bitmover.com          http://www.bitmover.com/lm