Re: [APM ERROR-REPORT] APM_DISPLAY_BLANK freezes Thinkpad R40 and Sony Z1 on suspend

From: Mikael Pettersson (mikpe@csd.uu.se)
Date: Mon Aug 04 2003 - 14:19:56 EST

Ruben Puettmann writes:
> enable CONFIG_APM_DISPLAY_BLANK on linux 2.4.22-pre10 and
> 2.4.22-pre10-ac1 freeze my Thinkpad R40 with Ati Mobile 7500 and Sony Z1
> on apm -s.

If you have UP_APIC or SMP enabled, then this is a known user-bug.
CONFIG_APM_DISPLAY_BLANK, CONFIG_APM_CPU_IDLE, and configuring APM
as a module instead of built-in, are known to do really bad things
with regard to BIOSen and the local APIC.

The fix, if you have APIC or SMP support, is to NOT misconfigure APM.

/Mikael