Re: Interactive Usage of 2.6.0.test1 worse than 2.4.21

From: Andrew Morton (akpm@osdl.org)
Date: Tue Aug 05 2003 - 01:26:54 EST

Martin Konold <martin.konold@erfrakon.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> when using 2.6.0.test1 on a high end laptop (P-IV 2.2 GHz, 1GB RAM) I notice
> very significant slowdown in interactive usage compared to 2.4.21.
>
> The difference is most easily seen when switching folders in kmail. While
> 2.4.21 is instantaneous 2.6.0.test1 shows the clock for about 2-3 seconds.
>
> I am using maildir folders on reiserfs.

There is a bug in old kmail versions wherein they do silly things if the
filesystem alleges that its optimum I/O size is much larger than 4k.

2.6's reiserfs tell applications that its optimum IO size is 128k, and the
bug bites.

Try mounting your reiserfs filesystems with the "nolargeio" option.

A `mount -o remount,nolargeio' will probably work too.

Please test that, send a report, and if it fixes it, upgrade your kmail.

Thanks.