2.4 vs 2.6 versions of include/linux/ioport.h

From: Gene Heskett (gene.heskett@verizon.net)
Date: Tue Aug 05 2003 - 09:41:08 EST

Greetings;

In the 2.4 includes, find this in ioport.h

----
/* Compatibility cruft */
#define check_region(start,n)   __check_region(&ioport_resource,
(start), (n))
[snip]
extern int __check_region(struct resource *, unsigned long, unsigned
long);
----
But in the 2.6 version, find this:
----
/* Compatibility cruft */
[snip]
extern int __check_region(struct resource *, unsigned long, unsigned
long);
[snip]
static inline int __deprecated check_region(unsigned long s, unsigned
long n)
{
        return __check_region(&ioport_resource, s, n);
}
----
First, the define itself is missing in the 2.6 version.

Many drivers seem to use this call, and in that which I'm trying to build, the nforce and advansys modules use it. And while the modules seem to build, they do not run properly.

I cannot run 2.6.x for extended tests because of the advansys breakage this causes. I also haven't even tried to run X because of the nforce error reported when its built, the same error as attacks the advansys code.

Can I ask why this change was made, and is there a suitable replacement call available that these drivers could use instead of check_region(), as shown here in a snip from advansys.c? ---- if (check_region(iop, ASC_IOADR_GAP) != 0) { ... if (check_region(iop_base, ASC_IOADR_GAP) != 0) { ...

Hopeing for some hints here.

-- Cheers, Gene AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M Athlon1600XP@1400mhz 512M 99.27% setiathome rank, not too shabby for a WV hillbilly Yahoo.com attornies please note, additions to this message by Gene Heskett are: Copyright 2003 by Maurice Eugene Heskett, all rights reserved.