Re: Filesystem Tests

From: Hans Reiser (reiser@namesys.com)
Date: Wed Aug 06 2003 - 09:06:37 EST

Andrew Morton wrote:

>But different filesystems will leave different amounts of dirty, unwritten
>data in memory at the end of the test. On your machine, up to 200MB of
>dirty data could be sitting there in memory at the end of the timing
>interval. You need to decide how to account for that unwritten data in the
>measurement. Simply ignoring it as you have done is certainly valid, but
>is only realistic in a couple of scenarios:

unless I misunderstand something, he is running sync and not ignoring that.

I don't think ext2 is a serious option for servers of the sort that
Linux specializes in, which is probably why he didn't measure it.

reiser4 cpu consumption is still dropping rapidly as others and I find
kruft in the code and remove it. Major kruft remains still.

--
Hans