Re: Newbie debugging question

From: Randy.Dunlap (rddunlap@osdl.org)
Date: Thu Aug 07 2003 - 00:25:33 EST

> Hi,
>
> I've been searching the net for quite some time now without success so I
> decided to ask the professionals. I'm looking for kernelhacker newbie
> friendly documentation on how to figure out a little more about a kernel
> lockup to be able to give the developer of a device driver some more info.

I suggest asking on the kernelnewbies mailing list (see kernelnewbies.org).
Also, some people started on this web page, but it's only a beginning:
  http://lse.sourceforge.net/debugging/

> The problem is that after a while the machine locks up with Caps Lock and
> Scroll lock blinking. I don't see any logs and no messages on the console. I
> found some posts describing similar events and it was said that the kernel
> is not completely dead in this state. Is there a way to get some more
> information? Where should I start reading.
>
> Please CC me since I'm not subscribed.

What kernel version? That would have some effects on the answer.

Serial console is the usual option/route. If it boots completely,
you could also try netconsole (or, dare I say it, usb console).
Or LKCD (lkcd.sf.net), or kmsgdump (2.5.75/2.6.0 at
http://www.xenotime.net/linux/kmsgdump/2.5.75/).

~Randy