Re: Is it possible to add this feature.

From: Patrick McLean (pmclean@linuxfreak.ca)
Date: Thu Aug 07 2003 - 01:44:40 EST

Martin Pool wrote:

>On Tue, 05 Aug 2003 17:53:48 -0700, Mike Fedyk wrote:
>

>>On Tue, Aug 05, 2003 at 08:30:54PM -0400, Kurt Wall wrote:
>>

>>>Quoth hsdm:

>>Basically, no.
>>

>>>ulimit -m
>>>ulimit -t
>>>

>>This is per session, and the user can have many sessions. Unless you
>>limit the number of sessions a user can have...
>>

>Mike is correct that you cannot have system-wide per-user limits at the
>moment, at least in the standard kernel. However, it would be possible to
>add it, if you find somebody to develop it for you.

I am going to be working on this feature with a friend starting in
September as a term project (we are both undergrads in computer
science), and a way to get into kernel hacking :) Send me a mail if
you want more info, or if you want us to keep you up to date on
our progress.

We will also be loking for ways to specify the limits in a fairly
simple, but scalable way, and we will be happy for any suggestions.