Re: Device-backed loop broken in 2.6.0-test2?

From: Valdis.Kletnieks@vt.edu
Date: Thu Aug 07 2003 - 11:07:32 EST

On Wed, 06 Aug 2003 17:40:43 PDT, Andrew Morton said:

> We're currently setting PF_READAHEAD across a call into the page allocator.
> We end up calling writepage() with PF_READAHEAD set and the block layer
> aborts the writes, resulting in corrupted data.
>
> It only seems to bite with loop-on-blockdev for some reason.

For what it's worth, I've been seeing these same symptoms on ext3 on an LVM
partition - so it's not *just* loop, it appears to be any filesystem that interposes
a mapping layer. Hmm.. wonder if this explains the failures on RAID that somebody
was reporting, too....

/Valdis (who is off to apply the patch that Andrew attached, which doesn't appear to
be in -mm5)...