RE: Loading Pentium III microcode under Linux - catch 22!

From: Nakajima, Jun (jun.nakajima@intel.com)
Date: Thu Aug 07 2003 - 12:40:57 EST

One issue with doing it in lilo or grub is that we need to apply
microcode update to each (physical) CPU. So we need to change the
current driver structure if we want to move it to the boot loader. So
one of the other ways is:
1. Boot loader copies update to memory
2. Kernel applies update soon after it brings the processors (including
BP, and APs) online in init_intel() or something like that.

We don't need IPI or even the microcode update driver if we do this. But
I think putting it in initrd should be sufficient.

Thanks,
Jun

linux-kernel" in