Re: log-buf-len dynamic

From: Ken Ryan
Date: Wed Sep 24 2003 - 12:40:43 EST

Andrea Arcangeli <andrea@xxxxxxx> wrote in message news:<yYdq.qV.23@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>...
> On Tue, Sep 23, 2003 at 06:06:00PM +0200, Willy Tarreau wrote:
> > why do you want to force people to do something the way you think is best ?
>
> because it gives you no real disavantage to pass the parameter in grub.
> You've to set root=/dev/root anyways, this way you would simply need to
> add the parameter for log buf as well. I've always to add lots of other
> stuff anyways, including vga= profile= etc..
>
> > I personnaly think that both solutions are a convenient way of achieving the
> > same goal for different people. Please let them choose.
>
> they can already choose with the parameter at boot, it's not that I
> don't let them choose.

I would like to add my two pennies...

At home I have a box with 4 IDE controllers (8 channels). Up to and
including 2.4.20 I needed a kernel parameter list specifying
addresses, ata66, etc. for all but ide0 and ide1, as well as another
couple tweaks. I literally was *at* the line length limit. While my
specific situation was eased by .21 and .22 (all I need now is
'ide=reverse'), IMVHO as long as there is a hard limit on the
parameter line length it would be very nice to have the option of
minimizing what needs to be specified.

(FWIW I use lilo; I've never tried grub. I haven't actually looked
whether the line length limit is in lilo or the kernel.)

Ken Ryan