Re: aborts in usb-storage in branch 2.6

From: Alan Stern
Date: Fri Oct 24 2003 - 16:16:13 EST

On Thu, 23 Oct 2003, Pedro Larroy wrote:

> I can send anything you need. Here it goes some extended log.
>
> I've noticed that abort are after ACPI debug statements.
> But seems acpi and usb are not sharing irqs.
>
> CPU0
> 0: 298778 IO-APIC-edge timer
> 1: 1775 IO-APIC-edge i8042
> 2: 0 XT-PIC cascade
> 8: 4 IO-APIC-edge rtc
> 9: 56 IO-APIC-level acpi
> 12: 39 IO-APIC-edge i8042
> 14: 13833 IO-APIC-edge ide0
> 15: 1 IO-APIC-edge ide1
> 16: 0 IO-APIC-level uhci_hcd
> 17: 83 IO-APIC-level Intel 82801DB-ICH4
> 18: 0 IO-APIC-level uhci_hcd
> 19: 1069 IO-APIC-level uhci_hcd, eth0
> 20: 0 IO-APIC-level yenta
> 21: 0 IO-APIC-level yenta
> 23: 10276 IO-APIC-level ehci_hcd
> NMI: 0
> LOC: 298713
> ERR: 0
> MIS: 0
>

> abort.log -> 2.6.0test8
> devices -> 2.6.0test8
> kernel.log -> 2.6.0testx where x < 8
>
> In abort.log, is the paste of the log with kernel 2.6.0test8 in kern.log
> there is a log from 2.6.0test4 or 2.6.0test4-mm
>
> On previous 2.6.0testx kernels the bug appeared to trigger when ACPI debug
> statements were printed, notice there are aborts after ACPI printks.
>
> On 2.6.0test8 it seems to be triggered when doing concurrent access to the
> filesystem.
>
> I would like to help in anyway I can, but ACPI and USB is far beyond my
> kernel knowledge, so I'm not currently able to fix the bugs myself.
>
> Just ask if you need more information.
> Thanks.
>
> Regards.

I looked at your logs, but I can't add much to what you already know.
This certainly does appear to be some sort of interrupt sharing/routing
problem -- the logs don't indicate anything specific to USB. However
there's no easy way to tell what the source of that problem is.

Maybe someone who knows more about ACPI and interrupt handling can help.

Alan Stern