Re: Copying .config to /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel

From: Pavel Roskin
Date: Fri Oct 24 2003 - 16:58:46 EST

On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 dleonard@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Personally I like to put it in the same place as the kernel itself and
> the System.map. Then I tack the full version number on the end just
> like I do with System.map. Even for non-modular kernels it is
> frequently convenient to have access to the .config so when you boot up
> a random isolinux CD you know exactly what support you are going to
> have.

Yes, I actually found that scripts/mkspec and scripts/kconfig/confdata.c
in the Linux source already know about /boot/config-`uname -r`, so it's
not just a Red Hat specific thing. I didn't make enough research.

It looks like the interface to /sbin/installkernel is not very flexible as
it doesn't get .config as an argument. Anyway, I can provide a patch to
install .config to /boot/config-`uname -r` for all architectures if
anybody is interested.

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin