Re: Blockbusting news, results get worse

From: Krzysztof Halasa
Date: Sun Oct 26 2003 - 09:00:54 EST

"Norman Diamond" <ndiamond@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> By the way some participants in this thread have argued that the block
> should not be replaced by zeroes or random garbage without notice. I fully
> agree. The block should be replaced by zeroes or random garbage WITH
> notice.

Right. The correct way of sending such a notice is returning I/O error
on read. It's standard and applications support it for years (of course
we can - and currently do - log the error as well).

> From the point of view of logging it in the system log, it is
> enough to log it once, it doesn't have to be logged over and over again.

Storing a log entry in system log doesn't tell applications there is
a problem. It's simply unacceptable.
Relocating on write (at filesystem level) - sure, it would be helpful
(possibly as a compile-time option - most IDE drives and things like
RAM disks don't need it).
--
Krzysztof Halasa, B*FH