2.6 test 8 locks up when encoding Divx/Xvid

From: Keith Clark
Date: Sun Oct 26 2003 - 11:26:23 EST

When I use DVD::Rip / Transcode to encode a VOB file to an Xvid format AVI, then the whole machine locks up and the only recourse is to hit the reset button : it won't repond to pings, open telnet sessions become unresponsive, etc. I've also experienced lockups when using Kino to export in Divx format.

If I boot to the old 2.4.20 (latest RedHat kernel), then I can encode files for days with no lockups.

I really like 2.6test 8 otherwise. I have Win2K on this machine as well, and for the first time, everything in Linux - from a desktop user perspective, runing Gnome 2.4 - is faster than in Win2K.

Nice work.