Re: compile-time error in 2.6.0-test9

From: wsy
Date: Sun Oct 26 2003 - 18:19:54 EST

From: Marco Roeland <marco.roeland@xxxxxxxxx>

[...]

Just recently gcc 3.3.2 was released, so that or the latest from one's
distribution is 'current' and should work fine. Be warned though that
although they produce better code (and even that is sometimes disputed!)
and give better warnings, compilation is a lot slower.

Yeah, I saw that on the GCC homepage. Not sure if that's the way to go,
as it only went out like a week ago.

The Linux kernel has a lot of handcrafted optimised code, so no gcc
version is going to outsmart that easily anyway, and also very important
is the amount of testing a kernel gets. Better a somewhat less optimal
compiler but which has had a lot of testing, and so has it bugs known
and 'workarounded', than a potential 'flyer' with unknown new bugs.

But for userspace applications I'd recommend gcc 3.x wholeheartedly,
for g++ especially.

I'm still in straight C mode.

Now, to figure out why I've got a bunch of unresolved symbols in
when I do "make modules_install".

I am beginning to suspect that there's a particular bit of sequence that
I'm not doing quite right.

It's:

make
make bzImage
make install
make modules
make modules_install

and I've read the obvious things on the kernel.org web page and
googled, even manually created /lib/modules/2.6.0-test9, but failed
to achieve enlightenment.

Any suggestions? I've looked into upgrading to GCC 3.mumble, but that
looks to be a bit of an adventure unless I want to upgrade *everything*
as well.

-Bill Yerazunis