Re: Blockbusting news, results get worse

From: Jan-Benedict Glaw
Date: Mon Oct 27 2003 - 05:24:21 EST

On Mon, 2003-10-27 18:34:48 +0900, Norman Diamond <ndiamond@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote in message <3cba01c39c6f$141529a0$24ee4ca5@DIAMONDLX60>:
> Eric Mudama wrote:

> also volunteer one day each weekend to test Linux. How can I arrange to
> damage one block on a disk?

That's obviously quite easy to do. In German, we call this
"spanabhebende Datenverarbeitung". Just open some HDD and do some thick
scratches with a screwdriver on one of it's platters.

> I'm not sure how many Dell notebooks you'll have to open to see a Toshiba
> drive, but I'll bet the number is low. Also do you recognize the name
> Toshiba as a large maker of notebook PCs, and do you have any guesses as to
> how many Toshiba notebooks you'll have to open to see a Toshiba drive?
> Toshiba already reduced their former US 3-year warranties to 1 year and

Personally, I don't like Toshiba. They're a so large company that they
can effort to do their own chips (like pcmcia bridges etc.). This way,
you get new (preprietary) chips at some time. Been there, now buying
other notebooks...

MfG, JBG

--
Jan-Benedict Glaw jbglaw@xxxxxxxxxx . +49-172-7608481
"Eine Freie Meinung in einem Freien Kopf | Gegen Zensur | Gegen Krieg