test9, complete lockup, ipchains related

From: Éric Brunet
Date: Mon Oct 27 2003 - 15:53:45 EST

I have the following setup on my PIV computer, shuttle motherboard,
2.6.0-test9 kernel:

eth1 is a RTL-8029 and connects me to the outside world
eth0 is a RT8139 and is where I plug my laptop.

Using ipchains, I masqerade the laptop, so that it can also access the
outside world.

The problem is that my computer locks up when I try to do a big backup
with rsync over ssh from the laptop to a computer in the outside world.
No mouse, no keyboard, nothing in the logs.

I couldn't reproduce it with some scp from the laptop to a computer over
the outside world. I don't know what is so special with rsync.

I couldn't reproduce it with a rsync from the laptop to my computer. That
is why I think it is ipchains related.

Everything is working fine with kernels -test1 and -test4. The lockup is
already present in -test8 and, I think, -test7 (need to check that).

Once I constated the problem with a complete boot (X11, kde, many
services), I have reproduced them in booting in single user mode, with no
more operations than ifup'ing eth0, eth1, loading ipchains and setting
the one single rule (masqerading) I need.

ONCE, I got some kernel trace spit out on the console before the computer
locked. Unfortunately, I only got the 24 last lines. I tried to obtain
another trace in a 80x60 vga mode, but failed. Here is the trace, hand
copied:

ip_rcv_finish +0x1c5/0x22c
ip_rcv_finish +0x0/0x22c
nf_hook_slow +0xd4/0x122
ip_rcv_finish +0x0/0x22c
ip_rcv +0x3c5/0x480
ip_rcv_finish +0x0/0x22c
netif_receive_skb +0x12b/0x164
process_backlog +0x6e/0xfd
net_rx_action +0x6a/0xe4
do_softirq +0x95/0x97
do_IRQ +0xca/0xe5
default_idle +0x0/0x27
rest_init +0x0/0x27
common_interrupt +0x18/0x20
default_idle +0x0/0x27
rest_init +0x0/0x27
default_idle +0x24/0x27
cpu_idle +0x2e/0x37
start_kernel +0x163/0x191
unknown_bootoption +0x0/0xff
Code 8b 53 08 0f b7 47 0e 31 f6 66 39 42 1e 74 1f 85 f6 75 07 a1
Kernel panic: Fatal exception in interrupt
In interrupt handler - not syncing

.config, dmesg, lspci, etc. available on
http://perso.nerim.net/~tudia/bug-reports

Regards,

Éric Brunet