[OT]: Need help with license (BSD vs. GPL)

From: Patrick McHardy
Date: Mon Oct 27 2003 - 17:50:21 EST

I've ported the H-FSC packet scheduler from altq to Linux 2.6.
The original version was released unter a original BSD-style
license with advertising clause. I've now talked to the original
authors, they agreed to release a version without this clause.
Am I correct that the license is otherwise GPL-compatible ?
I don't want to harass them more than necessary ..

I've attached a copy of the license.

Thanks,
Patrick
/*
* Copyright (c) 1997-1999 Carnegie Mellon University. All Rights Reserved.
*
* Permission to use, copy, modify, and distribute this software and
* its documentation is hereby granted (including for commercial or
* for-profit use), provided that both the copyright notice and this
* permission notice appear in all copies of the software, derivative
* works, or modified versions, and any portions thereof, and that
* both notices appear in supporting documentation, and that credit
* is given to Carnegie Mellon University in all publications reporting
* on direct or indirect use of this code or its derivatives.
*
* THIS SOFTWARE IS EXPERIMENTAL AND IS KNOWN TO HAVE BUGS, SOME OF
* WHICH MAY HAVE SERIOUS CONSEQUENCES. CARNEGIE MELLON PROVIDES THIS
* SOFTWARE IN ITS ``AS IS'' CONDITION, AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED
* WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES
* OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE
* DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL CARNEGIE MELLON UNIVERSITY BE LIABLE
* FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR
* CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT
* OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR
* BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF
* LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT
* (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE
* USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH
* DAMAGE.
*
* Carnegie Mellon encourages (but does not require) users of this
* software to return any improvements or extensions that they make,
* and to grant Carnegie Mellon the rights to redistribute these
* changes without encumbrance.
*
* $Id: altq_hfsc.c,v 1.4 1999/10/01 04:38:05 kjc Exp $
*/