Re: [BENCHMARK] I/O regression after 2.6.0-test5

From: Dave Olien
Date: Mon Oct 27 2003 - 18:50:14 EST

On Sun, Oct 26, 2003 at 05:38:29AM -0500, rwhron@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> 2.6.0-test8-mm1 doesn't have the AIM7 database regression
> that 2.6.0-test8 has. The AIM7 fileserver and shared
> workloads regression between test5-mm2 and test8-mm1 is
> about 18%. Mainline regression was about 38% between test5
> and test8 on AIM7 fileserver and shared workloads.

Yes, I've noticed this as well. This has been the pattern since
test5. Every mainline release (test6, test7, test8, AND test9)
has a large regression in as-iosched vs deadline scheduler performance.
The regression is considerably smaller when the mm[1-4] patches are
applied. See the attachment for a collection of data points, collected
running REAIM, an updated version of AIM7.

In the mm[1-4] broken-out patches lists, there is an O_SYNC-SPEEDUP-2.patch
that has been in all of the mm[1-4] patches since test5. The comments at
the head of that patch says this patch reduces the blocking of writers on i_sem.

This patch probably allows more writer concurrency. This benefits
only O_SYNC writes. Reaim does O_SYNC writes. My guess this patch
is what reduces the as-iosched regression for mm[1-4] patched kernels.

I imagine the O_SYNC-SPEEDUP is unlikely to get into any more TEST kernels.
But maybe it gives a hint is to what's going on with as-iosched.
Letting in more concurrent writers seems to reduce as-iosched's peformance
regression.

Some data points (marked with XXX) haven't been collected yet.
This data has been collected on the Scalable Test Platform (STP)
8-way machines at OSDL.

REAIM is an updated version of AIM7. Information on REAIM and
performance data collected on 2, 4, and 8 way machines can be found at

http://developer.osdl.org/cliffw/

Hardware details of the STP 8-way machine are at the bottom of this page.
More details on each test run can be viewed by construcing a URL from the
STP ID #. For example, the first entry in the table can be seen at URL

http://khack.osdl.org/279446

Maximum Jobs Per Minute
Kernel Version IO Scheduler STP ID # Peak Load Quick Convergence
2.6.0-test5 Deadline 279446 8950 8542
As-iosched 279444 8785 8489

mm1 Deadline 279560 8303 7998
As-iosched 279558 8401 7935