Re: [Fastboot] [announce] kexec for 2.6.0-test9

From: Eric W. Biederman
Date: Tue Oct 28 2003 - 00:12:29 EST

"Randy.Dunlap" <rddunlap@xxxxxxxx> writes:

> Updated kexec patch for 2.6.0-test9 is now available at:
> http://developer.osdl.org/rddunlap/kexec/2.6.0-test9/
>
> Testing, feedback, results, etc. to fastboot@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, please.

If the testing reveals a general bug LKML is fine.

Randy Looking at the code and what it took to merge with the 4G
patch. identity_map_pages needs to be removed from the generic path.
There needs to be call into the machine specific code to allocate page
tables or whatever it needs.

That piece of code has caused more problems, and has broken more often
than any of the rest of the generic code. So it looks to me like it should
not be generic. In particular the ppc people had trouble with it as well,
as various times it has broken on x86.

One property that should be preserved is that the code should not allocate
any memory in machine_kexec. It is very hard to cope with memory
failures at that point, and in a lot of ways we have already passed
the point of no return.

I will look at more as I get time, and thanks for keeping a working
version around.

Eric