Re: ANNOUNCE: User-space System Device Enumation (uSDE)

From: Lars Marowsky-Bree
Date: Tue Oct 28 2003 - 06:02:14 EST

On 2003-10-27T14:14:18,
Mark Bellon <mbellon@xxxxxxxxxx> said:

> The uSDE and udev are simlar in some respects. The uSDE allows for
> complete control of the policy handling a device - not just its naming.

Well, so could udev in theory, and I had this plan to enhance it to do
so for the specific case of multipathing one day in the not too distant
future (ie, before q1/04).

In as far as I can see, udev and uSDE really do not have too different
goals. Competition is good, but only if they explore distinct approaches
;-)

> >How does this integrate with DM, md, EVMS, LVM...?
> As devices appear in sysfs the uSDE reacts to them via their hotplug
> events. The policy for each device handles any device issues including
> dealing with any device nodes. It is possible to track and maintain
> multiported devices and automatically provide multipath devices nodes
> for instance.

Yes, I know that, I was asking whether you had done any discussion with
the EVMS2 folks for example to have a policy plugin to interact with
EVMS2 accordingly and do the magic.

Sincerely,
Lars Marowsky-Brée <lmb@xxxxxxx>

--
High Availability & Clustering \ ever tried. ever failed. no matter.
SUSE Labs | try again. fail again. fail better.