Re: Heavy disk activity without apperant reason (added more info)

From: Helge Hafting
Date: Tue Oct 28 2003 - 07:07:41 EST

Stef van der Made wrote:

Dear Helge,

I had the very interesting disk activity again. No serious activity was happening. I've tried to make some sense of the 2 output commands you've asked, but they make not much sense. Sorry :-( that I need to ask so much help on this (bug) report.

This is the output of vmstat

[...]
From this we see that it isn't swapping (0 in the si and so
columns {"swap in" and "swap out"}). The machine occationally reads, and it writes a lot.

and this is top

dnetc is the most active process here. I don't know
what it _is_ - could it be doing lots of disk
writes?

mozilla is running, it may do a lot of disk
access under some circumstances, for example
when refreshing some webpage with lots
of content.

Helge Hafting