problem with ide dvd-rom in 2.6.0 test

From: Miles Egan
Date: Tue Oct 28 2003 - 17:09:38 EST

I consistently get errors reading dvd-r disks under 2.6.0 test on
hardware that performs fine under 2.4.x.

Specs are Dell Pentium 4 desktop machine running Debian unstable with a
Samsung DVD/CDRW ide drive.

The errors are reported as follows:
Oct 28 13:26:31 car kernel: attempt to access beyond end of device
Oct 28 13:26:31 car kernel: hdc: rw=0, want=8320756, limit=8308032

The kernel recognizes the drive as follows:
hdc: attached ide-scsi driver.
scsi0 : SCSI host adapter emulation for IDE ATAPI devices
Vendor: SAMSUNG Model: CDRW/DVD SM-332B Rev: T408
Type: CD-ROM ANSI SCSI revision: 02

The problem occurs consistently whether I mount the drive using the
ide-scsi driver or as a plain ide disk. It occurs with every 2.6.0 test
kernel I've tried (test2 and on).

It sounds similar to a problem reported by Jakub Bogusz with 2.6.0 test3
in August:

http://www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0308.1/1989.html

Any ideas? Any more information I can provide or anything I should try
to narrow it down?

Thanks.

--
Miles Egan <miles@xxxxxxxxx>