Re: [cgl_discussion] RE: ANNOUNCE: User-space System Device Enumation (uSDE)

From: jw schultz
Date: Wed Oct 29 2003 - 20:02:43 EST

On Wed, Oct 29, 2003 at 11:07:16AM -0800, Greg KH wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 29, 2003 at 05:20:01PM +0100, Eric.Chacron@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> >

> > >From a pure technical point of view and from presentations made by the
> > authors of u*** perspective
> > i think uSDE could add some interresting features like a customizable
> > naming policy.
>
> udev doesn't provide such a feature right now?
>
> > For instance: geographical addressing to identify devices using rack,
> > subrack, slot numbers seems possible.
>
> Sure, udev can do that today, if you have a way of identifying devices
> in such a manner.

.From a distance this udev vs uSDE remind me of dm vs evms.
Based on the rhetoric udev is oriented toward implementing
policy and uSDE, articulating policy. It seems to me that
the code that should be run on device add and remove ought
to be implementation oriented not policy oriented. When
policy articulation is wanted it belongs in the user
interface. This could be a set of files to build the final
config file or a library and user interface. A bit like
using EVMS to manage dm.

Just my $0.02 in case distance lends perspective.

I also wonder how one is supposed to pronounce uSDE,
you-zdee, us-dee, us-day?