Re: Ref-count problem in kset_find_obj?

From: Matt Domsch
Date: Thu Oct 30 2003 - 00:43:57 EST

On Wed, Oct 29, 2003 at 04:24:58PM -0800, Patrick Mochel wrote:

> > The reference count of the kobject to be returned is not
> > increased before the semaphore is released. A kobject_del/unlink
> > could remove the object before the called of kset_find_obj is
> > able to increase the reference count. This makes kset_find_obj
> > more or less unusable, doesn't it?
>
> Yes, you're right. The function is pretty much unused, and I don't have a
> problem removing it, provided we can fix up the one user
> (arch/i386/kernel/edd.c). Unless of course, you're planning on using it..

At the moment, edd.c doesn't actually use it. It wants to -
find_bus() is a useful concept, but I haven't proven that the scsi_bus
list only has scsi_devices on it, so that code isn't compiled in at
present. If the scsi_bus list is clean now, then yes, I'll want to
turn it back on (after 2.6.0 is out) and will need find_bus() to be
possible.

Thanks,
Matt

--