Re: Things that Longhorn seems to be doing right

From: Ihar 'Philips' Filipau
Date: Thu Oct 30 2003 - 07:17:25 EST

Hans Reiser wrote:

All that said, the indexes themselves should just be feature enhanced directories accessed via the kernel. Feature enhancements might include such things as better space efficiency, ordering plugins, etc.

I still see no point in putting this into kernel space.

As a proof of concept - if someone wants to try - one can implement this system on top of any other fs. in user space.

open("/aaa.txt") ->
inode ->
underlaying_fs.open(itoa(inode)+".meta")
underlaying_fs.open(itoa(inode)+".data")

write(fd) -> fd<->inode -> updateindex(inode) + write(inode). [1]

and so on and so forth. LD_PRELOAD=libcoolfs.so my_cool_app

in other words file system can be used as smart storage.
hard links can be 'mis'used to implement search indeces.

[1] mmap() is the notable problem.

--
Ihar 'Philips' Filipau / with best regards from Saarbruecken.