Re: Linux 2.6.0-test9

From: Bill Davidsen
Date: Thu Oct 30 2003 - 11:57:01 EST

On Thu, 30 Oct 2003, Russell King wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 27, 2003 at 11:26:44PM +0000, bill davidsen wrote:
> > If the idea is to tell people to read the post-Halowe'en doc and a year
> > of LKML, it is much the same as telling people to wait for a
> > distribution.
>
> Isn't the purpose of the post-haloween doc to tell people what
> changed and what needed to be upgraded? What about the
> linux/Documentation/Changes file?

Given that it is a year out of date and general in nature, it's still a
pretty useful docuement to someone who does a lot of fiddling anyway.
But what I think would be very useful would be a small (one screen?)
HTML doc with links to versions which are current today, one page each
for a few major distros covering tweaks to startup file and the like,
and a page of things which aren't mentioned in the post Halowe'en doc,
like the things that aren't available in modules anymore.

Anyway, since I found that even my notes were out of date, and I took
them as I moved machines from 2.5.4x forward to test9, I thought it
would be useful. I'll probably do something for my friends and clients,
but it will definitely be Redhat and Slackware only. I see no enthusiasm
for helping users instead of letting them thrash.

--
bill davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>
CTO, TMR Associates, Inc