Re: Things that Longhorn seems to be doing right

From: jlnance
Date: Thu Oct 30 2003 - 16:29:27 EST

On Wed, Oct 29, 2003 at 07:34:19PM -0600, Joseph Pingenot wrote:

> I don't see any reason why we *shouldn't* look at the problem and try to
> do it. What reasons do you see for not persuing the problem to its
> inevitible implementation?

Well I am not qualified to comment on this particular technology, I have
not investigated it enough to understand what it is trying to accomplish.

But there is a danger in letting MS marketing drive the direction of our
OS. Particularly since, as you note in another post, working on project
X means that project Y suffers due to lack of developer attention. I
dont think that the MS idea of what a computer should be look bear much
resembelence to what I want mine to look like. Which is why I started
using Linux.

Unfortunatly, we probably dont really have a choice. MS has enough market
share that we must emulate not only their good, but even their bad ideas
if we want Linux to be used by people other than those who develop it.

my $0.02

Jim