Re: RadeonFB [Re: 2.4.23pre8 - ACPI Kernel Panic on boot]

From: Kristofer T. Karas
Date: Fri Oct 31 2003 - 14:17:44 EST

Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:

Ok, first thing: XFree "radeon" _is_ accelerated, though it doesn't
do 3D on recent cards

Hi Ben - Right, sorry, I mean to apply "accelerated" to the 3D effects; the private ATI driver is much faster on glxgears than the version that bundles with XFree.

Then, the problem you are having is well known

I'm having two, actually. The first is that YPAN is getting quite confused. If I switch VCs, then switch back, the text has been re-arranged, the cursor is often invisible, and sometimes a page or two of new text must be written before anything starts to show up on the screen again. Experimenting shows that setting VYRES = YRES works around this problem.

The second problem is of course the register contents issue when returning from certain graphics programs (e.g. X+fglr) to text mode.. I rather like your idea of doing a re-init when switching from KD_GRAPHICS to KD_TEXT, as the monitor blank during resolution switch will likely overshadow the re-init process.

Can you verify that running fbset -accel 0 then back 1 cures the
problem for you ?

At work now, will try when I return home later...

Kris