Remote memory access through FireWire?

From: Omen Wild
Date: Fri Oct 31 2003 - 17:37:30 EST

I just ran accross this kerneltrap article:
http://kerneltrap.org/node/view/145/334

Quoting from the page:
"As you know, IEEE1394 is a bus and OHCI supports physical access to
the host memory. This means that you can access the remote host over
firewire without software support at the remote host. In other words,
you can investigate remote host's physical memory whether its OS is
alive or crashed or hangs up."

The article is talking about FreeBSD, but I was wondering if Linux has
a similar issue. Can someone plugged into the FireWire bus
snoop/modify the entire contents of Linux's memory?

Thanks,
Omen

--
The cost of living hasn't affected its popularity.