Re: IEEE1284 (Parallel Port) Kernel Build Problem

From: Randy.Dunlap
Date: Mon Dec 01 2003 - 16:18:36 EST

On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 13:46:49 -0500 Stan Zitello <stan_zitello@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

| ** Please CC me on any replies, as I am not subscribed to the mailing list **
|
| It appears that the build process for the parport.o and parport_pc.o kernel
| modules is not properly picking up the value of 'CONFIG_PARPORT_1284'. Even
| though my .config file contains 'CONFIG_PARPORT_1284=y', a build of the kernel
| does not successfully include IEEE1284 support, as evidenced by this message
| in the system log file:
|
| kernel: parport: IEEE1284 not supported in this kernel
|
| I was able to generate a simple workaround, which I verified works, by adding
| a "#define" to the relevant source code in drivers/parport/. I would have
| preferred to have found the actual build problem, but I must admit to not being
| able to completely decipher the build process...sorry.
|
| I am not sure if this is relevant, but you will notice that my entire parallel
| port support is via modules. The rest of the relevant entrys from .config:
So IEEE1284 support is also built into those modules.

I used these same .config settings except with PARPORT_PC_PCMCIA not set
and the IEEE1284 code is compiled into the parport.o module file.
And it's not just the stubs for "IEEE1284 not supported in this kernel".

Are you sure that you have loaded the correct parport*.o modules?
If so, please post more of your kernel log file, showing the surrounding
messages as well.

--
~Randy
MOTD: Always include version info.