Re: Bugs in linux-2.6.0-test11/README

From: Mikael Pettersson
Date: Wed Dec 03 2003 - 12:36:37 EST

David Balazic writes:
> 2.6.0-test11/README says :
>
> If you want
> to make a boot disk (without root filesystem or LILO), insert a floppy
> in your A: drive, and do a "make bzdisk".
>
> Wasn't that feature (booting without LILO or other boot loader ) removed ?
> At least http://www.kniggit.net/wwol26.html says so.

Yes, but 'make bzdisk' was reimplemented to use a proper bootloader:
syslinux. You'll need mtools and syslinux-2.06 or later.

I'm also using this approach with 2.4 kernels now, since it eliminates
the annoying kernel size limitation of the old built-in loader.

> For some, this is on a floppy disk, in which case you can copy the
> kernel bzImage file to /dev/fd0 to make a bootable floppy.

Straight copy won't work any more, that's a README bug.