Re: XFS for 2.4

From: bill davidsen
Date: Wed Dec 03 2003 - 15:22:57 EST

In article <20031202175957.GA1990@xxxxxxx>,
Jeff Garzik <jgarzik@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

| It's _very_ wise to hold off on a patch if
| (a) the code is difficult to read, and therefore difficult to review and
| fix (read: style)
| (b) the maintainer is not assured of patch reliability (read: "I'm not
| sure the patch won't break things")
|
| Both (a) and (b) are vaild concerns for long term maintenance costs.
|
| Particularly (b). If Marcelo is not assured of patch reliability, then
| he absolutely --should not-- merge XFS into 2.4. That's just the way
| the system works. And it's a good system.

Given that hundreds of people have used it for several years, I find it
hard to believe that there are hidden bugs both so subtle that they
have not been seen and so bad that they cause major problems. I find "I
don't like the coding style" far easier to believe.

As you say, that's the way the system works, guess the patch will
continue, because it's more reliable than 2.6 at the moment.
--
bill davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>
CTO, TMR Associates, Inc