Re: Why is hotplug a kernel helper?

From: Joel Becker
Date: Thu Dec 04 2003 - 06:55:29 EST

On Thu, Dec 04, 2003 at 04:38:29AM +0100, Fredrik Tolf wrote:
> Admittedly, I'm still using the RH8 hotplug scripts, and I suspect
> improvements have been made since then. I was mainly looking for a way
> to auto-mount USB mass storage devices without having to reconfigure
> anything as root. I have all the info I need now, though.

Hotplug (murasaki in my case) finds the devices just fine. The
automounter (autofs for local filesystems) automounts them when I change
into the directory. Also just fine. In 2.4, no less. 2.6 as well.

Joel

--

"The nice thing about egotists is that they don't talk about other
people."

Joel Becker
Senior Member of Technical Staff
Oracle Corporation